Throughout 2018, there have been a number of trends in digital marketing that have gained a huge following from businesses interested in creating effective marketing campaigns. It is important to keep digital marketing trends in 2018 in perspective while also pursuing ones that complement your business. Here are five of the new latest marketing trends that have been used throughout an abundance of marketing campaigns this year.
· Chatbots - Chatbots mimic human conversations through a computer program’s audio or text. Today, chatbots are powered by artificial intelligence, meaning they become more efficient over time. The more information a chatbot is subject to through various conversations with customers, the more capable it becomes at resolving requests of all types. Throughout 2018, more and more businesses are utilizing chatbots on their websites to provide superior customer service which, in turn, can also increase brand awareness as users may virally applaud good customer service on the Internet. Chatbots have become a very popular digital marketing trend in 2018 and they will continue to become more popular in the upcoming years.
· Video Marketing - We know you’re probably bored of hearing about how many video marketing opportunities there are for companies and how they are one of the most useful new trends in marketing. However, recent statistics speak for themselves as to why video marketing is a digital marketing trend in 2018 that should be included in your future marketing plans. Video marketing is simply using video to promote or market your brand, product or service. This recent trend in marketing sees increased audience engagement allowing for more social activity altogether. Viewers are said to “retain 95% of a messages seen in the form of a video and only 10% of messages seen in the form of text.” () It is “estimated that by 2019, a video will account for 80% of all consumer internet traffic.” () Video marketing can be integrated into all social media platforms nowadays so start thinking about your videos to help you see more engagement!
· Voice Search - Whether you are talking to Google, Siri or Amazon Alexa, the percentage of people using voice search has steadily increased throughout 2018 and has become one of the most used digital marketing trends in 2018. Studies show that by the year 2020, more than 50% of searches will be made through voice search (). This is causing marketers to rethink their digital marketing techniques moving forward by targeting long-tail keywords in voice search SEO approaches. A “long-tail keyword is a longer and more specific keyword phrase that visitors are more likely to use when they’re closer to a point-of-purchase or when they’re using voice search” (). With all of this in mind, it is clear to see that voice search plays an important role in providing all the relevant information that individuals are searching for through audio content. Artificial Intelligence is getting smarter and the number of errors made by voice assistants like Alexa and Siri has reduced significantly. Similarly, many brands have included voice search in their digital marketing strategies to deliver valuable content to their customers.
· User-Generated Content - One way marketers are fighting rising advertising costs is by promoting user-generated content. Serving as a digital marketing trend in 2018, brands are now relying on micro-influencers, customer advocates, and celebrity endorsers to increase organic traffic. This simply involves a brand or business requesting permission to re-purpose their content for your brand. If executed correctly, the partnership gained from this initiative can result in an increase in audience exposure for both the endorser and the business which then leads to further brand awareness.
· Interactive Content - When using interactive content in your marketing strategy, you’re allowing yourcustomers to feel more involved in what they are viewing. They will also feel a sense of personalization with this type of marketing outreach. The top five types of interactive content are: assessments, calculators, contests, quizzes and interactive info graphics. These forms of advertising are a great way to increase brand awareness and engagement and have become one of the most prevalent digital marketing trends in 2018.
It is not always necessary to follow all of online marketing trends out there. However, experimenting with at least one of these new digital marketing trends in 2018 may give your 2019 campaigns a boost.